Tobramycin Opthalmic Solution is an antibiotic which falls in the field of aminoglycoside and is used for treating eye infections in animals. It helps in clearing the bacterial infections caused in the eyes, that is, the bacterial eye infections. The application of the Tobramycin Opthalmic Solution also should be used with great care as it deals with the eyes of the cat. A proper prescription should be taken from your vet to purchase this product and to apply it for your cat.
Dosage levels and Administration
The dosage levels vary depending on not only the size and requirement of your cat but also the intensity of the condition or disorder faced by it. These following steps should be adhered to for giving the right amount of medicine. This will always give better and best affects on the cat.
- Before starting with anything wash your hands. You yourself should be free from any germs or dirty particles.
- Next the excess medicine content should be cleaned off from the eye region. Do not do it with your hands, rather wipe it off with a tissue.
- Again wash your hands. This is to ensure that the medicine content is completely cleared out of your hand.
- Do not touch the applicator tip of your Tobramycin Opthalmic Solution bottle to the surface around the eye of the cat. All these are done to give proper care to the eyes and keep it away from any germs or harmful organisms.
- The Tobramycin Opthalmic Solution bottle after use should be stored at room temperature. It should not be kept in a place where it comes in contact with heat or light. Also make sure that the bottle is tightly closed to prevent any particles from entering inside it.
See to it that the full course of the medication is followed. Only then will there be any effect on your cat. Even if your cat is completely ok half way throughout the treatment you must continue to finish the course for the effect to take place and for the best results. If a dose it missed, give it as soon as you remember it. But if it is almost time to take the next dose then skip this and continue with the schedule. Make sure that you do not skip it any more.
Ingredients of Tobramycin Opthalmic Solution
Tobramycin Opthalmic Solution is a combination of active ingredients, inactive ingredients and preservative. The active ingredient include in the formula mix is Tobramycin which constitute 3 mg or 03% of the total solution. The inactive ingredients are mentioned as follows:
- Boric Acid
- Sodium Sulfate
- Sodium Chloride
- Purified Water
In addition to these inactive ingredients, Sodium Hydroxide and Sulfurinc acid are added. This is optional and is mainly added to adjust the pH levels to 7.0 – 8.0. A preservative added in the medicine is Benzalkonium Chloride which constitutes about 0.1 mg or 0.01% of the total Tobramycin Opthalmic Solution formula.
Side effects of Tobramycin Opthalmic Solution
For the Tobramycin Opthalmic Solution, there have been reports of severe side effects. Some of them are as follows:
- Impairment is a common side effect faced by cats and these ototoxics leads to loss of hearing and loss of balance.
- Irritation and reddening is another common side effect faced by the user of Tobramycin Opthalmic Solution.
- One of the more severe side effects is kidney dysfunction. Kidney damages are caused especially when the medication is taken for a long time.
- Some cats faced burning or stinging sensation.
- Itchiness, swelling of the eyelids and similar ones are also affect by cats that are allergic to this medication.
It is highly recommended to use this medication only after the prescription from your vet. If these side effects worsen take your cat immediately to the vet.
Things to note:
These are some things you must keep in mind while giving the Tobramycin Opthalmic Solution to your cats:
- Even thought the Tobramycin Opthalmic Solution is prescribed by veterinarians, it is not a FDA approved product.
- If you cat is a patent of inner organ complications or is a constantly dehydrated cat, do not give them this medication.
- Drug reactions are easy to get in touch with Tobramycin when other medications are used.
- Overdose of the Tobramycin Opthalmic Solution can lead to drastic affects and some cases it can even cause paralysis.
Originally posted 2015-04-07 11:33:21.