Ketoconazole 2% Cream is an antifungal cream that is used for treating the fungal infections faced by the cats and dogs. All the dermal disorders occurring on the skin of the cats are provided relief when this medication is used. The Ketoconazole 2% Cream is effective for treating the following:
- Fungal infections
- Yeast infections
- Dermatophyte ringworm infections
Ketoconazole 2% Cream – Dosage and Administration
The dosage levels and the directions of use should be followed as per the instructions given in the package. Before giving the medication to your cat consult with a vet and take his instructions. The vets will diagnosis the condition and adjust the dosage levels depending on the severity of the infection faced by your cat.
The administration is done on the basis of the severity of the condition to be treated on the cats. Most of the fungal infections take several weeks to be cured and this too varies for different cats. Some cats respond to the Ketoconazole 2% Cream faster than the other cats. This also depends on the development of the adverse effects faced by the cats.
It is very important to stick to the directions of use and other instructions to follow mentioned in the product label and also by your vet. It is a general tendency to stop the usage of the medication once you see your cat has been cured. But you must complete the whole course of the medication even if these symptoms of the condition subside. This is very good for preventing the disease or condition from further occurring.
Ketoconazole 2% Cream – Side Effects
The manufactures of the Ketoconazole 2% Cream has claimed this product to have no side effects or less severe side effects. But there are reports of cats who have suffered from some side effects. These side effects or drug reactions faced by the cats are as follows:
- A serious kind of side effect is liver hepatitis. This should be treated at the earliest before it gets worse.
- Stomach problems are common side effects of the Ketoconazole 2% Cream. Cats have diarrheas, vomiting and even loss of appetite.
- Jaundice is also another serious side effect of this medication.
- There are also problems of discoloration of the hair coat of the cat observed. There are cases of the lightening of the hair coat and even drying of the hair coat in cats.
- The levels of cortisol cortisone, testosterone and other sex hormones are reduced in the cats.
- There are reproduction problems faced by some cats.
- Sometime the cats tend to depressed or lethargic all the time.
- The hormonal synthesis is inhibited in some cats.
Ketoconazole 2% Cream – Warnings
- The Ketoconazole 2% Cream should not be given to those cats that are hypersensitive.
- This product is also not suitable for those cats who have an allergic reactions to the ingredients used.
- Do not combine the usage of Ketoconazole 2% Cream with any other drugs like antacids, cimetidine, cisapride, methylprednisolone, anticonvulsants, heart medications, cyclosporine and theophylline. There are chances of drug reactions to take place.
- This product should be kept out of children of children. It is only meant for animals.
- Cats who are pregnant or in the nursing stage should not use the Ketoconazole 2% Cream without permission from your vet.
The Ketoconazole 2% Cream is also available in the following quantity:
- Ketoconazole 2% Cream of 15 gm Tube
- Ketoconazole 2% Cream of 30 gm Tube
Originally posted 2015-04-16 00:45:33.