Doxycycline for Cats is an antibiotic that is proven very effective for treating infections and diseases like Lyme disease, Chlamydia, Rocky Mountain spotted fever and such similar diseases or disorders in cats. This is a broad spectrum antibiotic that can treat many types of infections especially the ones caused by susceptible organisms. This medicine is also used in cats for treating their Urinary Tract Infections or UTI.
Doxycycline for Cats – Dosage and Administration
The dosage levels do not vary much for cats of different weights. The normal dose given to cats is 2 mg/lb of the size of the cat. This must be given in a gap of 12 hours. Doxycycline can be either given directly to the cat by putting it in its mouth or added to the food fed to them. The food can be wet food or moist treat. See to it that you provide your cat with plenty of water.
There is a warning stating to not give Doxycycline in combination with milk or any other dairy products. But you can do so if your vet approves of it. Seek permission from your vet if you want to do anything other than what is prescribed. The reason why Doxycycline is not suggested to be given with dairy products is because dairy products reduce the absorption of this medicine for your cat.
Doxycycline for Cats – Side Effects
Doxycycline is promoted as a medicine with no side effects and can be given to all sizes and ages of cats. But the most common side effects faced by some cats are nausea and vomiting. These are some things you should take care of:
- Nausea and vomiting are faced as side effects from some consumers of Doxycycline. For managing this you can give the supplement along with the food fed to the cat.
- Medicines that fall under the tetracycline class should not be given this drug along with the food as the absorption of the effect of the medicine is lost. Doxycycline is a medicine which does not belong to this class.
- Also there are possibilities of occurrence of stained teeth for cats who consume tetracycline category medications. It also prevents the absorption of calcium thereby leading to the strong growth of the bones and teeth. But with Doxycycline you do not have to worry about such a problem.
- Doxycycline is not advised to be taken by those cats that will have to compromise on their immunity levels.
- There are fewer chances that the raspberry flavor of the medicine is liked by the cats.
- It is strictly advised to not give the medication to cats that are pregnant or breeding or in the nursing stage. Even if you want to give, you should do so only after the permission from your vet.
Doxycycline for Cats – Usage Instructions
It is not necessary to refrigerate Doxycycline. But do not store this medication after the expiration period is over. Once the usage or expiry date is crossed, discard the bottle. The expiration date is printed on the bottle label. Even the reconstituted Doxycycline oral suspension should be discarded within 2 weeks of the reconstitution. Doxycycline given after the expiry period can cause adverse affects on the cats and can even result in damage of kidneys.
Doxycycline for Cats – Drug Reactions
Do not use Doxycycline in combination with Antacids. This is because the calcium content of Antacids binds the doxycycline content in the GI tract of the cat which results in both the medications not taking any effect on the cat.
Do not use iron tablets or any other vitamins supplement containing iron. This too might reduce the absorption of both Doxycycline and the iron contents. The combination of these two supplements are used for treating anemia which are feline infectious. So if your cat is suffering from such infection you can give iron supplements along with the usage of Doxycycline. But you have to make sure both these supplements are given to the cats with plenty of time gap in between each.
These are variations of Doxycycline available for purchase. You can choose the one prescribed by your vet depending on the intensity of the condition faced by your cat.
- 100 mg tablet 50 cnt bottle
- 100 mg per tablet
- 100 mg capsule 50 cnt bottle
- 100 mg capsule per tablet
- 100 mg capsule 250 cnt bottle
- 100 mg tablet 500 cnt bottle
- 50 mg tablet 100 cnt bottle
Originally posted 2015-04-10 04:08:43.